Summer vacation is over and we’re back to watching the latest natural hair videos and blogging! We’ve experienced some life changing experiences BUT we are still here…ready to share, ready to grow and ready to continue on our natural hair journey……
New Natural Hair Video
NikScott explains her technique on how to create an elegant, jumbo side, two-strand flat twist. She uses lavender water to help reduce frizz.
WHY ARE NATURALISTAS SO PASSIONATE ABOUT NATURAL HAIR?
Recently a friend asked me to share my thoughts about the stigma and stereotypical thoughts that misinformed people may have about the natural hair community. She specifically asked if natural hair was just a trend or was it actually a movement. Initially, I became perturbed at the thought that someone would actually think that my going natural was just a craze or a trend. The reason why is because most people do not understand or know the number of natural hair brands and products that I have tried. They have not been there on the many occasions that I was so frustrated with my hair that I wanted to give up, but called upon other women in the natural hair community for guidance, support and encouragement. And let’s not talk about the number of failed hairstyle attempts or how I had to learn how to combat dryness and figure out which products to use to achieve a bomb twist out or perm rod set.
So yes, I was slightly upset with the thought of someone belittling my journey as just a momentary trend. Despite my aggravation, I decided to share my heartfelt feelings about my adoration and love for the natural hair community. After all, how are others to know the meaningful impact this natural hair journey can have on a woman if no one shares. After considering my friend’s question, I realized that some people may be ignorant (meaning not having a knowledge of and no disrespect intended here) and that this was an opportunity to educate and share not to become angry and dismissive.
I cannot speak for all, but most of the women in the natural hair community that I have had the privilege of meeting have shared a myriad of reasons on why they wear their hair in its natural state. I will not attempt to share them all here, but I did inform my friend of my top (5) reasons women decide to rock their natural hair. Please see below:
- Hair Health – From heat damage to hair loss to scalp challenges, thousands of women have decided to embrace the holistic approach to care for their scalp and hair. With the help of fellow natural hair sisters coupled with professional guidance from hair stylists, dermatologists and trichologists, women are becoming more knowledgeable and responsible for their own hair health in order to restore and grow healthy hair.
- Overall Physical Health – Once a Naturalista begins to research and read all about the harmful chemicals that should be avoided in hair products, she will subsequently begin to consider the state of her overall health. It is not uncommon for women that wear their hair naturally to become health conscious, adopt healthy eating habits and ensure that their household products are not made with harmful chemicals. In essence, being natural becomes a lifestyle.
- Spiritual Journey – What I love most about being natural is the evolution and growth that takes place from within. Each woman has an individual journey of growth that creates a deepened level of self acceptance and self-love. For some, God has taken women on a path of emotional and holistic healing. For others, insecurities are buried and a new-found sense of freedom and liberation are birthed. Personally, my natural hair journey has allowed me to be more audacious! I have been able to address my issues with perfectionism and define my own beauty instead of continuing to adapt to society’s form of beauty.
- Community – Do you want to see sisterhood and camaraderie at its best? Attend some of these natural hair events and you will see love and support in action! Women all over are meeting and hosting various events to provide encouragement, empowerment and education in the natural hair community. This is the movement that empowers women to continue on in their natural hair journey and inspires others to transition or big chop their way into the natural hair community.
- It’s OUR Right! – Lastly, it is our right to wear our hair in its natural state. When a woman wears her natural hair, she is not only making a statement, but she is proudly wearing the crown that was once denied of our ancestors. Historically, slaves were mistreated and demeaned for attempting to expose their natural hair. They were forced to wear headwraps because they were prohibited to display their natural hair. As of today there is still a fight for natural hair to be accepted, but as a community, women are standing strong and united in rocking their natural hair.
So these are my top (5) reasons why natural hair queens are so passionate about natural hair. I would love to hear from you. Leave a comment to share your thoughts!
Follow our guest blogger on Instagram @thejanellewatkins. Janelle is a speaker, event host, event planner, natural hair enthusiast and Curls Girl brand ambassador. You can find her in the community conducting monthly one-on-one calls with young girls and women, providing support and natural hair care tips.
Surround yourself with those who CHALLENGE you, PUSH you, MOTIVATE you and EMPOWER you!-Nikky Green, www.yogaataglance.org